We encourage you to follow this guide to ensure that you complete all the necessary steps in the application process.
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University participates in a common web-based application called the Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS). This service will receive, process, and forward your application to Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University. For fall 2017 enrollment, the application will be available beginning in May 2016 and is due by September 15, 2016, at 11:59 pm ET.
To apply to the DVM program, please follow these steps:
- Complete the VMCAS application and select Tufts University from the list of programs.
- Request your official transcripts to be sent directly to VMCAS. You should download the “Transcript Request Form” on the VMCAS application. We require that you submit official transcripts for all colleges and universities attended, including undergraduate, graduate, and study abroad programs. VMCAS will forward these transcripts to Tufts. Transcripts should be sent to:
VMCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9126
Watertown, MA 02471
- Request three letters of evaluation through the VMCAS application from the following people: (1) an advisor, pre-health committee, or faculty member, (2) a faculty member, (3) a veterinarian or research scientist with whom you have worked. VMCAS will process and forward these evaluation forms to Tufts.
- Be sure to answer the Tufts-specific questions under the "Questions" tab on your VMCAS application. These questions serve as our supplemental application, so there is no need for you to log in to a different site to complete a supplemental application for Tufts.
- Be sure to complete the Tufts-specific prerequisites section under the “Prerequisites” tab on your VMCAS application.
- Submit your completed VMCAS application by the deadline of September 15, 2016, at 11:59 pm ET to be considered for admission for enrollment in fall 2017.
Arrange to have your official Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General test scores sent directly to VMCAS by selecting the following:
Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine-VMCAS. Our institutional code is 7374.
The last date to take the GRE is September 15. Scores are valid for five years.
Please note: Although the Educational Testing Service allows options for reporting GRE scores to graduate and professional schools, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine does not. You must submit all of your GRE scores from all of your test administrations. You may not decide to send certain scores only. This means that if you have already taken the GRE and you need to request scores for your Tufts application, you must choose the “Score Select All” option. If you plan to take the GRE between filing the application and the application deadline, you must choose the “Score Select All” option on your test day. There is no charge for choosing this option.
Additional information can be obtained on the GRE website.
- In addition to the application fee charged by VMCAS, you must also pay a $70 nonrefundable fee directly to Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University. You will receive an email from Tufts with a link to the payment site approximately one week after the September 15 deadline. Your application will be considered incomplete until this fee is paid.