The goals of the ACE (Accelerated Clinical Excellence) Program are fivefold:
- Introduce the concepts of evidence-based veterinary medicine to improve a student’s ability to search for information resources that support utilization of the best available treatment practices.
- Develop the skills that are not taught in the traditional veterinary medical education but are required by an excellent veterinarian, such as: superb client communication skills, referral to and interaction with specialists, and use of the best available information to make clinical decisions on patient care.
- Introduce students to the opportunities of specialty practice early in their education.
- Prepare interested students for the often competitive clinical specialty internship and residency programs.
- Incorporate an introduction to clinical research into the early portion of the curriculum to help students understand the benefits and challenges of clinical research and to enhance opportunities for students to actively participate in clinical research projects.