The Neurology internship at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University is a one-year program designed to provide training in small animal medical and surgical neurology. The internship will prepare the candidate for a residency in neurology. The program is supervised by Dominik Faissler, DVM, DECVN (Neurology), with additional support from board-certified specialists in surgery, internal medicine, emergency and critical care, oncology, cardiology, ophthalmology, radiology, anesthesiology, clinical pathology, and nutrition.
Training will occur at the Foster Hospital for Small Animals in North Grafton, MA, which is approximately 40 miles west of Boston. Approximately 75% of the time will be spent in neurology, where the intern will devote the majority of her/his time to small animal neurology and neurosurgery with some consultations in the Hospital for Large Animals. The remaining 25% of the time will be divided into clinical rotations through internal medicine, emergency and critical care, radiology, ophthalmology, oncology and clinical pathology. The program includes two weeks annual leave. Emergency duties are shared with other house officers. A small research project is encouraged, but not mandatory.
The neurology and neurosurgery service offers a complete electrodiagnostic lab, advanced imaging (CT, MRI), an ICP express, and linear accelerator. In addition to clinical rounds with faculty and students, the intern will participate in weekly journal clubs and seminars. The internship also provides the opportunity to attend lectures and rounds at nearby human medical centers in Boston and Worcester. As part of the training program, the intern will participate in the clinical teaching of fourth year veterinary students.
The internship appointment will start June 16, 2015 and will end June 30, 2016; a certificate of internship is awarded after successful completion of the program. A benefits package including health and professional liability insurance is provided.
The successful candidate should have a DVM or equivalent degree, and must have completed a rotating internship in small animal medicine and surgery at an approved institution or practice. Candidates should submit a letter of intent, curriculum vitae, and the names of 3 professional references to Dominik Faissler, DVM, DECVN (Neurology). Only a letter of intent is required if an application is on file with the 2015 VIRMP. For additional information, please contact Dr. Faissler at (508) 887-4839 or email@example.com.
Tufts University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.